The North Cape Lighthouse was built in 1865 and went into service in 1866. It is one of three “sister lights”, along with those at Seacow Head, PEI, and Cape Jourimain, New Brunswick. These octagonal towers are among the oldest wooden-frame towers still standing in the Maritimes. Considered “one of the most important light stations on the Island”, the North Cape tower has been moved a number of times due to cliff erosion. Automated in 1967, the lighthouse for years contained extensive telecommunications equipment that was relocated to an adjacent building in 2008. The communication tower is fenced for safety reasons.
While at the North Cape Lighthouse be sure to visit: