The Cape Egmont Lighthouse was constructed in 1883 by Laurent Perry for the sum of $1,695. As the only coastal light on the 46-mile coast between the lighthouses at West Point and Seacow Head, it is important for fishing and marine interests along the South shore. The 12.4 m (40.7 foot) shingled, square, pyramidal tower had an attached dwelling that was removed in 1958. Severe erosion caused the lighthouse to be moved a short distance inland in April 2000, closer to the tall telecommunications tower and associated building. It overlooks Fishing Cove Harbour.
Follow Route 11 west of Summerside, and follow it down past Union Corner Provincial Park, Mont Carmel until you reach Cape Egmont. At the turn-off to Cape Egmont Fishermen’s Cove, turn left off the main road unto Phare du Cap-Egmont Road – The Cape Egmont Lighthouse Road. It is located at the end of this short, clay road.
Just east of the lighthouse alongside Route 11 are the Bottle Houses, some of which were built by a former keeper.