When it was built in 1897, the former Northport Rear Range Light was a 41-foot open-framed wooden tower with a square wooden lantern. The side facing the channel was slatted to make it more conspicuous. It was painted white and displayed a fixed red light, visible three miles. In 1903, the tower was enclosed. In 1962, a new front range light was installed and the structure formerly used for the front light took the place of the back tower. The former back range tower was sold, moved and incorporated into a private home in Alberton.