Constructed in 1880 by Henry Williams and put in operation in 1881, the Tignish Run Lighthouse was located at the entrance of the Main Channel, cutting through a sandy beach at Jude’s Point. It was electrified in 1954. Operating as a back range light until 1989, it was then converted to a coastal lighthouse and decommissioned in 1997. It was in disrepair until 2009 when the Tignish Shore Community Improvement Committee relocated it to Fishermen’s Haven Park and refurbished it as a memorial to area fishermen lost at sea. Also known as Big Tignish or Jude’s Point Lighthouse, the tower is open seasonally.
Take Highway 2 to its end at Tignish, near the northwest tip of the island. When Highway 2 ends in Tignish, turn left onto Church Street (Route 14), and then make an immediate right onto Dalton Avenue. When Dalton Avenue ends, turn right onto Route 12, and then after 1.6 km (1 mile) turn left onto Tignish Shore Road. Continue until Tignish Shore Road ends, and you will see the Tignish Run Lighthouse on the corner of Tignish Shore Road and Harbour Road.