West Point Lighthouse
Called the first of PEI’s second generation lighthouses, West Point Lighthouse was the first of the Island’s square towers. At 67 feet, eight inches from base to vane, it is also PEI’s tallest. Since it was built in 1875, only 8 Island lighthouses pre-date it. The West Point structure was originally painted white with broad red horizontal stripes; these stripes were changed to black since black is more fade-resistant and provides more contrast. From 1942-1945, the light was kept operational during the winter as a night-time guide for pilots at the British Commonwealth Air Training School. Run automatically from 1963-1982, the lighthouse has since been converted to an inn and museum.
Additional