Former Cascumpec Lighthouse

A lighthouse was built on Sandy Island (Cum’s Sandhill) at the mouth of Cascumpec Bay in 1854. It was replaced in 1856 and again in 1876. In 1899, erosion destroyed the range light and the Cascumpec Lighthouse was moved across the harbor ice by 16 teams of horses to its present location. In 1968, a square skeleton tower was installed nearby and the old lighthouse and its island were sold. The new tower was later enclosed and painted in wide red and white stripes. It was damaged in a winter storm and removed in June 2005.